Somehow I managed to go a year without posting to this space. Sure there are a million excuses (new job, no time, long commute) but really, I just didn’t want to blog anymore. It was just too much to take the perfect picture to get onto Tastespotting or Foodgawker (which ironically, I never visit anymore), try to say something witty and meaningful and keep up regular posting. So I just stopped. But now I’m realizing that I have a years worth of recipes I’ve tried out with no documentation. Take these Zucchini Corn Fritters. I made them last year around this time. I know this because the picture was still on my iPhone. Once again, I am overrun with zucchini from my CSA share and corn just hit the market, so I went to my blog to find this recipe and I realized, it wasn’t there. Thankfully, some searching with Betsy of our GChat histories allowed us to find this recipe. So, I have no idea how often I will make it back to this space. But I’m going to try to start posting again, mostly just for me, my family and my friends so that I can remember the highlights in my kitchen. But if you happen to still be reading after all this time…all the better.
Zucchini Corn Fritters
Recipe adapted from Serious Eats
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- bunch of chives, minced
- 3/4 cup flour
- 8-10 grinds of black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Sour cream, for serving
1) Shred the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater or with the shredding disc of a food processor. I used the food processor. Place the shredded zucchini in a colander in the sink or over a bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Toss to combine. Let drain while you get the rest of the recipe ready.
2) Crack the eggs into a large bowl and give them a quick scramble with a fork. Cut the kernels from the cob using this method and add the kernels to the bowl along with the onion, scallions, cilantro, chives, flour and pepper.
3) Grab the shredded zucchini in small fistfuls and squeeze out as much water as possible over the sink. You want to get out as much liquid as you can. Add the zucchini to the bowl and mix well to combine.
4) Pour the oil in a large frying pan to a depth of about 1/4 inch. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until not but not smoking. Drop a handful of the zucchini mixture into the pan and press down with a spatula to form a disc. Cook in batches without crowding 2-4 minutes on each side. You want the side to be golden brown. Remove to paper towels on a plate to drain. You may need to add some more oil between the batches.
5) Serve with some sour cream on the side. The fritters should be crisp on the outside and slightly custardy on the inside.